I think you learn a lot about a person by the types of foods they eat or more importantly, the foods they won’t eat. I’ve been dating this guy (more on that later) who has some particular food rules. The thought of anything cheesy and gooey makes him kind of sick and don’t get me started on his lack of appreciate for some raw fish. To give him some credit, I have seen his eating habits evolve since we met and he’s open to trying new things. He’s added more vegetables to his diet and even, with no pressure from me, tried some gluten free bread and cereal. The true test of his culinary transformation will be convincing him to try this cajun chicken pasta recipe.
If he doesn’t read this post, there is a slight possibility I could get him to try this. I’ll chop the mushrooms up really small and won’t mention the sour cream or the grated cheese. In fact, I’ll just focus on the ingredients that he likes.
Like peppers. I know I’ve seen him eat a green pepper so he has to like the red ones. And what person doesn’t like a little bit of onion? All kidding aside, if you have a picky eater, then substitute or omit veggies that they don’t like. My friend Emily (who gave me this recipe), doesn’t like mushrooms so she doubles up on the peppers. My daughter won’t eat mushrooms either so I omitted them this time (next time she’ll have to eat them or pick them out).
And chicken. Who doesn’t some chicken coated in cajun seasoning? Throw in those peppers and onions and it smells wonderful. In fact, I could have just stopped here and threw the chicken in a tortilla or something, but of course, I didn’t. After all, I’ve been told by numerous people when you make a recipe for the first time, you do so exactly as it is written. I think that same logic should apply to those who have the additional benefit of eating it because I know if they would just try it, they just might like it. 😉
- 1-2 chicken breasts, cut into bit size pieces
- Cajun Seasoning
- 2 T butter
- ½ red or green pepper
- Small can of mushrooms, drained
- ½ cup onion
- Small carton of whipping cream
- ¼ c sour cream
- Dried basil
- Garlic salt
- 13-16oz bow tie pasta
- ¼ cup grated parmesan
- Shredded parmesan (optional)
- Heat up water to a boil for pasta.
- Cut up chicken breast into bit size pieces and coat with Cajun seasoning.
- Over medium heat, sauté chicken in butter until cooked (about 7 minutes). Add peppers, mushrooms and onion, cook 2-3 minutes
- Add cream and bring to small boil.
- Reduce heat. Add sour cream and grated parmesan
- Sprinkle seasoning over the skillet to cover from side to side.
- Stir and let simmer for 5 minutes
- Remove from heat to allow to thicken.
- Add sauce to individual plated pasta and top with shredded parmesan