Everyone has that one go-to recipe. For years mine was Mexican casserole. My friend Sandy shared her recipe with me and for at least two years, whenever I had to needed to bring something to a potluck, that’s what I brought. For my friend Matt, Doritos casserole is his go-to recipe.
I’m sure Emily (his wife) appreciates it when he cooks. I actually think it’s impressive when a guy can, or should I say, is willing to cook. I’ve already decided in my next life I’m going to marry a photographer/chef so I can have gorgeous pictures of fabulous food on my blog all the time. I’ll even volunteer to do the dishes. But wait, let me get back to this casserole before I digress too much…
What I really like about this casserole is the addition of sour cream to the refried bean mixture. Sometimes I feel like the beans take over in casseroles and let’s face it, unless you combine them with cheese, sour cream and a bunch of other fixin’s (that’s my stint in the south coming out), they’re kind of blah. And another tip – don’t try to be healthy and use fat-free refried beans. The texture (and taste) is NOT the same. As someone who tries to healthify my recipes, I’ve tried this and it doesn’t work. Take my advice and go for the full fat refried beans. If you want to save some fat and calories, use low-fat sour cream and cut back on the amount of cheese.
- 1lb hamburger - 96% lean
- 1 - 4oz can green chiles
- 1 family size bag of Doritos
- 2 - 8oz packages of shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 - 15oz can of refried beans
- 1 8oz can of tomato sauce
- 1 packet dry taco seasoning
- 1.5 tablespoons sour cream
- ½ cup cherry tomatoes, quartered
- sliced green onions for garnish
- Preheat oven to 350º
- In a skillet, brown hamburger and green chiles together. While the hamburger is cooking, in a small sauce pan gently heat the refried beans until warm. Mix the sour cream into the refried beans.
- When properly browned, mix the tomato sauce and taco seasoning into the hamburger. Remove from heat.
- In an 8x11.5 baking dish, crush up enough Doritos to cover the entire bottom of the dish with a thin layer of crumbs. Next, cover the layer of Doritos crumbs with half of the hamburger mixture, spreading it out evenly. Then cover the hamburger mixture with half of the refried beans, spreading it out evenly. On top of the refried beans add a package of shredded cheese.
- Repeat this process beginning with Doritos layer and ending with the 2nd package of cheese.
- Bake at 350º for 25 minutes.
- Serve with sour cream and cherry tomatoes.
If you want to get out of cooking, print this recipe off and give it to your significant other. Just let them know if Matt can cook it, so can they.