It’s been a while since I actually cooked. I felt I had to ease into it.
If you follow my other blog, you know that a few months back I filed for divorce. The whole process has been physically and emotionally draining and left me with little motivation to cook. Instead, I’ve resorted to making processed foods and going through drive thrus. Now, I’m not a purist. I don’t shun foods that I didn’t grow or raise myself but there comes a time when a girl just needs to cook.
Because my oven isn’t the most reliable, I decided to break out my slow cooker. My slow cooker is old. Like from the early 90’s old but it gets the job done. Not wanting to make the typical roast and potatoes that I usually make, I decided to rift off my Asian Meatball recipe and make Shredded Asian Chicken over Jasmine Rice.
I won’t bore you with pictures of me putting chicken in my slow cooker and then a picture of each ingredient being added. I’m sure you can all do that on your own. But I will add a picture of these fabulous green onions. I love the bite that fresh green onions add to my dishes plus, they make them look prettier too!
In fact, all three of these ingredients make your food look and taste better. But enough pictures of vegetables and toppings, because I said I wasn’t going to bore you. Now to the real deal. The recipe. It’s ridiculously easy. If you know me, I like slow cooker recipes where you dump and run. This my friends, is a dump and run.
- 1.5 lbs chicken boneless, skinless breasts
- 2 tablespoons sesame oil
- ¼ cup soy sauce
- ¾ cup hoisin sauce
- 1 tsp ground ginger
- ¼ cup diced white onion
- 1 clove garlic, diced
- 2-3 green onions, sliced
- 1-2 tbsp sliced almonds
- ½ tsp toasted sesame seeds
- Jasmine rice
- Chop your vegetables, set green onions aside.
- Add the first 7 ingredients to your slow cooker.
- Cook on low for 3-4 hours, or until chicken is cooked through and easy to shred with two forks.
- Once chicken is cooked, remove from the slow cooker and shred. Reserve the liquid.
- Serve over Jasmine rice and garnish with almonds, sesame seeds and green onions. Dress with sauce if desired.